Government, business and civil society organisations can be the leaders in addressing discrimination. Truly valuing diversity and committing to a vibrant society in which we can get a fair go will bring positive outcomes for the Australian society and for the economy. A Bankwest-Curtin University report (2019) found that migrants from non-English speaking backgrounds are more likely to be over-educated and under-paid for their jobs. The report estimates that a perfect match between a migrant’s qualifications and their jobs could potentially add $6 billion to the Australian economy.
Your organisation can join this movement by joining the AllOneTogether Coalition and committing to take one major action, such as:
- Establish a senior led culture of no tolerance to racism, implementing specific policies and procedures to address complaints.
- Review employment policies to detect biases in recruitment and career pathways.
- Develop mentor and role-modelling program for new migrants.
- Make the legislation that protects all citizens against racism widely known, including official channels for complaints outside your organisation.
- Invest in culturally responsive practices and services.
For more information on how you can be a part of the AllOneTogether Coalition, please contact ECCV Advocacy Lead, Denisse Sandoval on firstname.lastname@example.org